Friday, June 19, 2009

Office Food, Desires

 
So I am happy to be off of RTP and eating how I want.  I am, though, ready to get back on the clean eating wagon.  So I plan on today, Friday, to get on with counting calories and trying not to eat total junk.  I plan my meals on Fitday, and space them out to 5.  First two meals, all good.  Then I get to work, and it turns out to be one of our bosses' birthday, with a huge spread and cake!  I decided to eat some of what was offered.  It make me happy; to be able to join in with my co-workers in a meal and not hide at my desk eating my super clean foods.  So I had a little of a few things, not going crazy or anything.  One chicken finger, a little jambalaya, one wing, and 2 oatmeal raisin cookies.  Everything was good, but the cookies were awesome!  After that, I decided to have a slice of cake.  It looked homemade, and after enjoying so much the cake I had yesterday, I went for it.  As awesome as the cookies!  Unfortunately, my meal first made me lightheaded, and then drowsy as can be!  I know it wasn't my usual overdose of coffee, because I only had one travel mug instead of my normal two.  It must have been the sugar.  I did have my ham and cheese sandwich about an hour before the meal, so my fullness contributed to it a bit, I'm sure.  But I really was wiped out!  So I skipped lunch, and went home to try for a power nap.  I didn't really sleep, but got some good rest in.  My watch alarm woke me up, I grabbed a Coke Zero, and headed back to work feeling refreshed. 
The moral of this story is: Sugar is okay, but I must keep it in moderation.  One cookie, and the cake, is plenty.  And I really need to curtail the sugar intake.  A once-in-a-while is fine, but my near-daily such as this past week is playing havoc on my system.  No worries though; a couple weeks of normal 90% clean eating will get me back on track.  And I do get to eat at either maintenance or surplus!  Much much better than deficit.  My body will adjust to this new diet, but there will be a transition period, since I have been on deficit for so long.  But it will adjust.  I just have to stick with my weekly measurements to make sure I'm not putting on too much BF, like I did in the spring of '08.  I will.  I am confident this will work out.
 
--------
 
What do I want?  This question constantly plagues me.  I feel I must answer this question before I can truly set goals.  Or maybe, my desires change with time.  What I wanted at one time may not be what I want in the future.  Bah!  This is not productive.  Just because I want something, do I really have to know the motive for wanting it?  My instinct says yes.  Case in point:  I want to look like a fitness model.  Why?  So I can be attractive.  To whom?  Females of course.  Men only to create envy.  Because if I look good on the outside, I will have more "confidence" like Adam says.  Maybe, but I am actively working on a spiritual program which works on my insides, and will translate into, or render less important, my outsides.  After all, beauty is skin deep.  Why do I want to be big?  Just so I can be big?  Really?  What is the point in that? 
 
Wouldn't a better goal be to feel the best I can?  Hell, I've been pursuing that goal for as long as I can remember.  I have just used chemical means for most of my adult life.  But now that that is over, I am working on my program to help me with the spiritual, mental, psychological, emotional, aspects of my health and well-being.  But is the physical that detached?  A simple visual inventory says that spiritual health does not directly relate to physical health.  I believe it is intertwined, but straightening up spiritually will not make you fit.  I know what make one physically fit.  However, "fit" can mean many things.  Let's start by eliminating what I don't want.
 
I don't want to compete as a bodybuilder.  Easy.  This means is should not train and eat with a bodybuilder plan/goal in mind.  Specifically, I should not try to build mass just for the sake of getting big.  I should not train just to look good, which is another vital part of bodybuilding.  Health should be a higher priority than appearance.  I like looking good at the gym, but really that is vanity.  I would rather feel good than look all studly.  Being healthy should make me feel good, right?
 
Do I want to powerlift?  Do I want to be strong?  Strength has its advantages.  But other than being able to lift heavy weights, not a whole lot of practical applications in my world.  So no to powerlifting.  But, if I continue to life with a general strength training program, which I like doing, then I will get stronger.
 
Crossfit?  Well, although it is appealing, not practical.  I like Gold's, I like traditional weightlifting.  Crossfit is more "functional" fitness, and it just doesn't fit into my world well. 
 
So what do I like to do?  I like to run.  I like to ride my bike.  I like to lift weights.  I like to go out to eat and have free meals.  The question is, how do I merge what I like to do into what would make me feel the best? 
 
So doing things I like make me feel good.  That is easy.  But where is the goal?  The goal is to do what makes me feel the best.  So I need to find the diet/exercise plan that makes me feel the best.  Can I really use how I feel as a measurement of "right" or "wrong" action?  Hmm.  I know basics, and can start there.  Then I can tweek based on how it makes me feel.  Does it make me feel good or bad?

More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment