Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trying To Get A Handle


So I was thinking about fringe diets and my own diet.  Keeping an open mind, I believe that those fringe diets such as paleo or low/zero carb can and would work with me, if I adhered to them.  But honestly, I like "bad" food too much to stop eating it entirely.  I have tried many times to not "cheat", and always come back to the "bad" food.  What's more, is that it always makes me happy when I have a meal of the "bad" food.  So that's what I need to remember.  Like that yoga post, eating "bad" food is part of me, and I enjoy it.  If I eat it all the time, I will gain fat.  But if I keep it in moderation, like a few times a week, I will either maintain or lose fat, depending on my calorie intake during the rest of the time.  This has been proved personally.  So that is my diet solution:  Eat healthy most of the time, and then have my out meals or pizza or desert a few times a week.  That is reasonable, and can even be considered a healthy diet.  Will this diet make me "shredded"?  Probably not.  But I don't want to sacrifice my out meals or pizza or desert to be shredded.  I like eating too much.  I like eating my comfort food too much.  I want to eat a po boy if I want.  (BTW I want one soon!)  I want to eat a hamburger with a bun if I want.  And so I will.  But, I need to keep it in moderation, if I don't want to gain fat.  So, I will keep on not listening to all the diet advice, and eat what I want, but what I know to be healthy, or healthy-ish.  (Or what tastes good!)  I do need to get back to tracking calories, though.  I will use my modified BFFM plan, which is tracking calories 5 days a week, and have 2 days a week which will be "refeed" days.  On those days, I will have an out meal(s) or pizza and not really worry about calories.  And for the 5 days, I will work a small deficit, maybe like 10-15%, leaning more to 10%.  I will keep fat and protein high, and carbs low, but not worry about a carb number or percentage.  I will try to keep protein at 1 gram per pound, if I can.  I will try low carb ways, but go off them when I want.  I'll eat fruit if I want.  I'll eat vegetables only if I want, which is not too often.  I will continue to take my multivitamin, but only that.  I will try to eat as cheaply as possible.  I need to simplify my diet, so that I can put that energy toward my spiritual growth and other things.  The calorie counting will take some time and energy, but I've done it before and I can do it again.  Once I get a general diet down, it won't really change that much daily.  Although I still need to figure what I will eat at work.  I am tired of turkey and vegetables.  And I don't care if I ever eat tuna again.  Lean cuisine, maybe?  4 a week may not cost too much.  Canned soup is cheap too.  I'll work it.  I want to stay away from sandwiches, though.  The less grains I eat the better, since I will be eating them on out meals. 
You know, I have lost my taste for some unhealthy foods, like chips and sugared cereal.  Sometimes chips are okay, but only a little.  And cereal I don't really miss anymore, especially sugared.  But I still love most candy, and chocolate, and bread, and pasta, and other foods like that.  So I will keep it moderate, and enjoy my eating.  It makes me happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment